What I am asking you to create.

Main discussion forum for the Pacific Surfliner Project

What I am asking you to create.

Postby oldgreyowl » Wed Dec 18, 2013 11:15 am

Some 4-5 years ago, Bob gave us CNRW ( MSTS ) wherein we had to accomplish certain tasks before we could move on to the next one. There was also the issue with getting the stock that was needed to accomplish the new task. This brought us simmers into the world of the engineer and the conductor. All work orders were written as a task and then AI traffic was added. I really enjoyed my time with CNRW.

What I am trying to do now is create a schedule to incorporate all possible traffic movements along this route. I have already shown the typical passenger services and now we need to add more meat onto the skeleton. The passenger services add up to 52 possible scenarios. The additional traffic that I " saw " on the BBC could add up to another 6 or 8 scenarios.We are now at 58 scenarios.

Don't forget that these scenarios cannot be written until we are all agreed on the schedule.

At this point I would ask all "interested parties", who need something moving, to put in requisitions to move such and such from A to B. These requests would be converted into scenarios and these movements would be added to the schedule. Any requests that require movement from one side of the track to the other would be at the mercy of the scheduled services.The scenario writers would not probably start the scenario as they do now, but would have to find the best start time to achieve what the "customer has requested".Obviously the more requests that come in, the harder it will be to achieve what is required. I think that at this point in time, the scenario writer is doing the work of the traffic controller. Once a scenario is written, this goes into the schedule, and alters the current traffic pattern, and cannot be amended. Newer scenarios will have to include all previously agreed scenarios and movements.

I have no idea how the freight services in California are named or numbered but I think that we should follow along the same lines. No pun intended.

It may take us several weeks to build up the schedule, and then many more weeks to fine tune the scenarios, but we would be part of a real railroad, or as real as we can make it.

keith
Who put the bomp in the bomp bah bomp? Who put the ram in the rama lama ding dong?
oldgreyowl
Site Admin

Re: What I am asking you to create.

Postby Bob Artim » Wed Dec 18, 2013 1:19 pm

Well I am making passenger scenarios following the schedule I posted. They most likely will all be 3 parters of an hour each. My intention is to et one completely populated with the static consists then use it as a clone for other scenarios. Placing statics on a 3 hour route is a lot of places to put them. With them out of the way via cloning then making a new player train will save a lot of time. Time to play with AI.
Expect me when you see me
Bob Artim

Who doesn't have dog, hunts with cat!

Just as sure as gravity, you can't escape this law.
There is only one way to stand, too many ways to fall.
Bob Artim
Site Admin

Postby oldgreyowl » Wed Dec 18, 2013 2:00 pm

Bob, do you really need to populate the whole route, if the majority of the freight scenarios may only run between L.A and Fullerton. Maybe if we can prove that the shorter distance works as we want, then we could look at extending the schedule.

What do you think?

keith
Who put the bomp in the bomp bah bomp? Who put the ram in the rama lama ding dong?
oldgreyowl
Site Admin

Postby Bob Artim » Wed Dec 18, 2013 2:36 pm

Well these are for the Passenger runs. And I hate seeing so many empty sidings ;)
Bob Artim

Bob Artim
Site Admin

Postby oldgreyowl » Wed Dec 18, 2013 4:45 pm

Sorry Bob, got hold of the wrong end of the stick as usual. :oops:

keith
oldgreyowl
Site Admin

Postby Bob Artim » Wed Dec 18, 2013 4:49 pm

I figure once I have a few PAX' we can figure out how to work the freight in. There will be some at night so the freight can intermingle with them.

I am going to make us an additional forum in here for our scenarios. I am trying to make templates, then other could use them for what they are worth. Then we can slowly work them all together.
Bob Artim

Bob Artim
Site Admin

Return to Project Main Forum